Electrical emergencies can happen at any time and can have a variety of impacts. Ensuring you’re prepared in advance for them is essential in controlling any damage that can be caused to yourself, the people around you in your home and to your home itself. Aside from preparation, having the right resources at hand helps immensely in taking care of the situation as soon as it strikes. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to handle various types of electrical emergencies.

Power Outages

Power failures or blackouts can happen year-round, especially when a storm hits. Strong winds can cause trees to fall onto power lines which interrupt power supplies or cause vehicles to collide with power poles.

Preparation for power outages include:

  •      Having working torches in hand placed in strategic parts of your home
  •      Having a battery-operated radio located in an easy-to-access area of your home (in case you have to call in for help)

Steps to take in the event of a power outage:

  1.     Turn off all your appliances including heaters or air conditioners
  2.     Unplug electronics and electrical equipment
  3.     Contact your local electricity provider to tell them about the power outage
  4.     If the power returns and you notice problems, contact your local electrician

Electric Shocks

Electric shocks are rarely fatal on contact but they can present a serious situation. They could for instance, stop the heart, cause various degrees of burn, force a person’s muscles to contract or even affect breathing — especially if someone is unable to intervene to move a person away from the source of the shock.

Preparing for Electric Shocks:

By installing a safety switch in your home in areas where major appliances reside you can effectively limit electric shocks from happening in the first place. A safety switch will stop dangerous currents 0.03 seconds before it can shock you. This gives you time to move away to avoid harm.

Steps to take in the event of an electric shock:

If you witness somebody enduring an electric shock, it’s best to protect yourself and any bystanders from further shocks. This is especially if a high voltage electrical current is involved.

If there is no danger of you being electrocuted, immediately…

  •      Switch off the power and pull out the plug of the source
  •      Use heavy duty gloves, a dry cloth or a rubber item to help free the person under shock if you cannot turn the power source off
  •      Seek immediate medical assistance (even if the person looks okay)
  •      Provide first aid if applicable (resuscitation)

With knowledge and preparation it is completely possible to avoid these situations or handle them with the utmost care. If you’re ever in doubt that your home’s wiring or outlets could present a dangerous situation, please contact us for a free estimate today!